Mechanics' Institute Chess Room Newsletter #48
"To lose one's objective attitude to a position, nearly always means ruining
1) US Open 2) Ossipov and Hills tie for first in Summer Tuesday Night Marathon 3) Shutt, McCrary, Camaratta and Brady elected to USCF Policy Board 4) Upcoming Events
1) US OpenThe 2001 US Open, held August 4-12 in Framingham, Massachusetts, is stronger than usual because of its status as a qualifier for the 2001 US Championship in Seattle. Among the GMs competing this year are US Champion Joel Benjamin, Suat Atalik, Pavel Blatny, Maurice Ashley, Alexander Kalinin, Sergey Kudrin, Gennady Sagalchik, Alexander Stripunsky and John Fedorowicz. There are quite a few MI players competing, including several juniors. IM John Donaldson is the top scorer for the Institute so far with 4 1/2 points from 5. Next Newsletter we will have a complete report.
2) Ossipov and Hills tie for first in Summer Tuesday Night MarathonExpert Victor Ossipov and National Master Kenneth Hills tied for first in the Summer Tuesday Night Marathon which ended last evening. The two winners scored 6 1/2 points from 8 rounds. Tying for third through fifth with 6 points were NMs Russell Wong and Rudy Hernandez, plus Expert Michael Becco. The next Tuesday Night Marathon starts on August 28th. Complete information can be found at www.milibrary.org.
3) Shutt, McCrary, Camaratta and Brady elected to USCF Policy BoardToday the votes for the 2001 Policy Board election were tabulated. The first four listed were elected to three year terms, and join Doris Barry, Helen Warren and Robert Smith who all have one year left to serve.
1. Steve Shutt 244 2. Robert McCrary 232 3. Frank Camaratta 231 4. Frank Brady 212 5. George John 190 6. De Knudson 171 7. Bob Holliman 133 8. Jim Pechac 125 9. Bruce Draney 73 10. Sam Sloan 22
4) Upcoming Events at the MIAugust 18
Vladimir Pafnutieff Memorial (5 rounds G/45 at 1/2 K)
September 28-30 and October 5-7. Bay Area Masters (6 rounds, open to all over
2200, USCF + FIDE rated, $1000-$500-$200 based on 22 paid entries). For more
information contact IM Guillermo Rey (650) 355-0305 or email@example.com.
Full details at www.milibrary.org
Return to Article Index